PagesList

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Accidentally Vegan, Sweet Potato & Carrot Dog Biscuits



You might ask yourselves, why 'accidentally vegan' ??
Well, when I first decided to make dog biscuits, I started searching the web for interesting recipes. None of the ones I found were exactly what I wanted, so I just mixed all of them together, sort of.






The original recipe I finally wrote down had 2 eggs in it. The first time I tried making it, the dough was absolutely horrible to work with because it was extremely sticky.





When we finally shot the video, I was so busy with thinking how and what to shoot that I completely forgot about the eggs. I realized I forgot them only a few days after that, when I went over the video segments we took. The only thing I do remember thinking is "God, the dough is behaving sooo nicely this time!! Perfect for cutting with a cookie cutter!"

It was a happy accident! The dogs, however, didn't even seem to notice. They devoured this version as quickly as they did the original one. I hope you enjoy the video as much as I enjoyed making it!



Disclaimer : The muffin I gave Phoebe for her 10th birthday had absolutely no chocolate or any other thing bad for a dog in it. It was actually very good and tasty for humans too.

Sweet Potato & Carrot Dog Biscuits


adapted from: far too many recipes on the web.
makes about 45 biscuits

Ingredients:
350g sweet potatos
1 large carrot (~120g)
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 3/4 cups rolled oats
3 generous tbsp peanut butter
2 tbsp flax seeds

Method:
 Peel off the skin of both sweet potatoes and carrot. Cut the sweet potatoes into medium chunks and thinly slice the carrot (see video for reference). Since the carrots take longer to become soft this ensures that both vegetables take roughly the same time to soften. Place the vegetables in a medium pot and submerge them completely in water. Cook for about 20 minutes until they are very soft.

Using a slotted spoon, remove the vegetables from the pot into a large bowl (larger than what I used in the video). Mash them vigorously with a fork or a masher. Now, add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine (it's best to use your hands here). Place in the fridge to rest for about 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Take half the dough and roll it out in between 2 pieces of parchment paper to a thickness of about 1 cm. Cut out cookies with your dog's favorite cookie cutter and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for about 20 minutes until they have a deep brown color and are dry. Let cool completely before giving one to your dog!

Keep in an air tight container. They keep mold-free for at least 5 days. I didn't try longer than that, the dogs didn't let me.



Save this recipe to your Recipe Box --> Yum

2 comments:

I love comments! What's on your mind ?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...